SEE MORE ON
-Flight Booking App -
Aquent Gymnasium offered the opportunity to create a prototype travel mobile app to demonstrate the imparted User Interface and User Experience skills.
I created a travel app from scratch following the principles of UX and UI design and using the correct steps of user research, creating personas and scenarios and ussequently creaing the protoype in Adobe XD.
Create Prototype for Travel App
UI & UX Design
Growing up, many of us heard of adventure stories. Some even fancied to be the character doing the tale and defeating the antagonist. However, we always dream of the adventure -going to the places where miracles and the impossibles happen.
The first exercise was to conduct a series of research interviews for a travel app. I went with Expedia, Sky Scanner as well as Blackberry travel feeling that would provide a diverse range of applications styles and markets. We then had to get three users to use the app performing the task of booking a flight and observe and note down any good and bad points. I found this useful in determining what I should include, leave out or try differently.
The next step was to decided what we would spend the course working on - the choice was either a smartphone app or a website which would be used for either a flight booking app or website or a restaurant booking app or website. I chose a flight booking app and from there we had to conduct three research interviews choosing three apps or websites to gauge problems and benefits. After that had been completed we chose our persona and scenario.
The next stage was to look at creating wireframes for my app. The assignment required some wireframes created by either hand or using an application. I was overly and sickeningly keen to I did both so I could get a better idea of the process on both sides of the fence.
My planning stages of the app went through multiple iterations and I came up with different though processes at each stage as I discovered more about how the app was shaped through each process and so the final app prototype differs greatly from the initial sketches and wireframes. This was largely due to learning more and more as I researched and practiced what works and what did not work.
From there I took the sketches and worked them up in Balsamiq where I could further experiment with the wireframe process and make changes and amends as I saw fit.
The app then needed to undergo testing so ascertain which features had work and more importantly which features had not worked. This was done with the same previous testers.
From there the next step was to create a prototype using whatever application we desired. I opted to use XD which, at the time writing, is in beta so a little limited in what I could accomplish but I thought it would be useful to learn the application when it is in it’s infancy so I would be able to master what I could so subsequently I would be easily be able to add to my knowledge as the application matured.
The footer evolved from a blue element to a off-white so as to highlight the navigation better. I initially wanted to frame the content of the app with blue above and below but ultimately the navigation just wasn’t obvious enough.
Finally we were asked to create a mockup of the app or website and subsequently undergo a series of usability tests - between 3-5 in order to get the most effective amount of feedback. Personally I made adjustments between each test which I am not sure was the correct procedure but I wanted to tinker with the app to get the best possible experience. This included changing the navigation footer elements for a clearer experience.